It was going to happen eventually.
I cut my hair.
Yes, after making promises to myself that after my cut in January 2014, I would just grow it out patiently and see where it took me, I decided to stop flirting with the idea of a cut (I’ve been thinking about it for a long, long time) and just do it. So during my trim and color (went back to black, as you can see) this past weekend, I asked my stylist if we could do a tapered cut. I wanted to retain some length, but I also wanted a shape and a style. Bim bam boom; she snipped, she did her thing, and I love it more than the sliced bread I’m avoiding.
It was time. Other than longing for a change, as I mentioned before, here are some other reasons it was high time for a style and color change:
1. As far as color, my formerly red hue was growing and looking old. Rather than spice it back up, I decided to just return to my black hair. Yes, my gray strands will be popping like crazy soon (I’ve been graying since high school, ya’ll), but whatever.
2. Honestly, as much as I love twist-outs and Bantu knots and all of that, I kind of wanted a quicker way to style my hair.
3. Tapered ‘dos are super chic!
4. It’s summer. Enough said.
5. Red lippies (which you know I love) pop like crazy with dark hair.
Are you wondering if I’ll keep this look when summer ends, though? I am, as well. It’s something to think about. I really love the look. Which means I might keep it longer than these hot days. Growing out my hair was my initial goal when I big chopped, but I have to tell you that I’m a sucker for chic and quick. And whether long or short, I just want healthy hair. Let’s talk about that for a minute.
Along the way in this fun, discovery naturalista journey, my hair changed. There was some breakage, some damage.
Deciding to color it certainly didn’t help. So I think it was high time I cut it, not only for a style and a shape, but to kind of start over. So whether or not I grow it back out or retain this look, the change was necessary. We’ll see what happens. For now, I am incredibly pleased with this change.
My mother didn’t faint, by the way. She was very happy with the change, probably because I mentioned that I’m done coloring my hair. And she’s used to her oldest change fomenting change by way of hair, so there’s that.
You like? What summer changes are you up to?